Things I did in 1998
by Gerald Oskoboiny
This page records stuff I did in 1998. See also: 1997, 1999, or who cares?
- Jan 8, 1998
- Updated my personal home page for the first time
in over two years.
- Jan 9, 1998
- Started my exciting career in politics.
won, sort of.)
- Jan 30-Feb 1, 1998
- Went skiing in Killington with Scott, Tristen, Chris
- Feb 16, 1998
- Bought a book over the net
for the first time.
- March 23, 1998
- Bought groceries over the net
for the first time.
- March 27-29, 1998
- Went to New York city with Pete et al. Great time! See photos/details.
- March 29, 1998
- Accessed my bank account over the net for the first time, using
the amazingly cool net-centric bank SFNB.
- Apr 3-5, 1998
Weekend in Toronto with Pete, Curtis et al. See
Pete, 6:30am (just before turning in for the night):
"Well boys we've got plenty of time!"
(you had to be there)
- April 19, 1998
- Applied for an online trading account with Datek Online, after spending
several frustrating hours waiting for tons of useless images to load
on sites like E*Trade and Ameritrade. I found an
excellent web page with unbiased reviews of each service, leading
to my decision to go with Datek.
- May 3-17, 1998
- Went to California for the Future of HTML workshop
(in San Francisco)
and SANS 98
conference (in Monterey.)
Drank beer with JohnB and Shawn. The weather sucked!
- June 20 - July 11, 1998
- Went to Switzerland and France for work and Germany for vacation
- July 24, 1998
- Finally released the
source code for the W3C
HTML Validation Service.
- Aug 1-2, 1998
- Went camping with Daniel, Curtis, Donna, and Kevin & family in Higley
Flow State Park, upstate New York.
Drank some fine Albertan beer (Pil!). Played lots of frisbee.
Got a sunburn. ("I don't burn.")
- Aug 10 & 13, 1998
- Saw The Tragically Hip with an
extremely small audience (~200-250) at Bill's Bar
- Aug 31, 1998
Moved from Brighton to Somerville.
Oh my aching back!
- Sept 4-7, 1998
- Visited friends in Ottawa. Kicked their butts at pool. (yawn)
- Sept 24-27, 1998
- Chris, Siku, Tristen and Ingrid visited from Ottawa.
- Oct 2-12, 1998
- Visited family & friends in Edmonton.
- Oct 24, 1998
- Installed a WinTV card in my home
- Nov 13-25, 1998
Went to Japan on a business trip. (for flexible definitions of "business")
I'll put a more detailed trip report online someday, maybe...
- Nov 26, 1998
- (American) Thanksgiving at SK's. Mmmm.
- Nov 29, 1998
I switched my primary mail client to Mutt. It rules!
I'll write up a separate page on this later with links to my
config files and some extra scripts that I wrote.
- Dec 5, 1998
Happy birthday to me!
- Dec 6, 1998
I installed a big honkin 17G drive in my home machine that I
got from NECX for only US$350
+ taxes + shipping. Drive prices nowadays are insane.
devo: gerald> df
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sda1 2012567 1764629 143919 92% /
/dev/sda5 923456 497376 426080 54% /dog
/dev/hda3 15583643 899330 13873352 6% /home
/dev/hda1 507796 130326 351239 27% /usr/local
- Dec 18, 1998 - Jan 4, 1999
Visited family & friends in Edmonton.
- Dec 23, 1998
Compatibiles contact lenses for the first time.
See also: 1997, 1999.
Last modified: $Date: 2004-12-15 04:00:10 $
Gerald Oskoboiny, <email@example.com>