Things I did in 1994
by Gerald Oskoboiny
This page records stuff I did in 1994. See also: 1993, 1995, or who cares?
- Jan 14, 1994
- Started learning about the Web.
I remember installing Mosaic, surfing around for about 30
seconds, and thinking "Wow. This is so cool. This is going to
change everything. And these guys seem to have done almost
About 20 minutes later, I had compiled and installed a web
server (NCSA httpd), and started learning HTML (and noticed the
similarity between it and BookMaster, the IBM-internal language I
used when working there as a technical
writer for the past couple years.)
Early influences (maybe not quite as early as Jan 1994, but close) were:
- Jan 31, 1994
- Started learning about CGI
HURL: Added "buttons" to news article page, linked to shell scripts to allow
scrolling through an author's posts, etc.
- Mar 16, 1994
- HURL: Wrote scripts to pre-calculate what "next by author", etc., means,
so instead of running a script to figure it out on-the-fly, it knows in advance
which message-ID corresponds to the button. Speeds things up a lot, and reduces
load on the machine.
HURL: Made new icons, including "dimmed" ones for unavailable items
- Mar 17, 1994
- Made author
pages, which accept queries for any arbitrary author.
Rewrote tbwa scripts
to make them faster and more reliable (this was actually during the last month
or so, but I didn't keep any logs, so I don't know exactly when).
- Mar 18, 1994
- Made a home page.
Played with image mapping, using a map of the U of A.
- April 25, 1994
- HURL: the message-ID?
script now adds links to anything that
it thinks looks like an URL.
- April 26, 1994
- HURL: Made a keyword
filter for the message-ID? script, to find and
link things like *plonk*.
- May - August, 1994
- Sold my car, backpacked around Europe for 3 months
See my planned
itinerary (pretty moronic: way too ambitious, made by looking
at a map and not much else); fortunately the actual trip didn't
look much like that.
- Aug 27, 1994
- Created the Kool-Aid Fun Page, an exercise in HTML forms. (now offline)
- Aug 28, 1994
- HURL: Made an
HURL: Made a list_by_author script.
- Aug 31, 1994
- HURL: Added author_info_submission script.
HURL: Added voting page.
- Sept 9, 1994
- Massively re-organized hotlist
and home page.
Made script to find local users' home pages.
- Sept 13, 1994
- HURL: Added "definition" icon to message-ID script.
- Sept 26, 1994
- Added a bunch of images to
- Oct 7, 1994
- Added sorting features and changed the format of
the local users page.
- Oct 8, 1994
- Added more items and check-boxes
- Oct 14, 1994
- Created the
Barney Fun Page.
- Oct 21, 1994
- Created a home page for
it on Usenet.
- Oct ?, 1994
- Netscape announced, complete with fugly
- Nov 10-15, 1994
- Flew to Ottawa for job interviews with BNR (big nerd ranch), later to
become Nortel. Went to Toronto on the weekend?
- Dec 5, 1994
Happy birthday to me!
See also: 1993, 1995
Last modified: $Date: 2007-09-06 05:15:22 $
Gerald Oskoboiny, <email@example.com>